Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Writing Process...

So many people have asked about my writing process. Do I take notes? Do I outline? Do I just wing it and go crazy? Well, honestly, I do a little of all of these, depending on what hits me. I hardly ever do a full outline, because it's all in my head, but on occasion I get detail oriented. But, for some fun, I decided to show you the process I went through when writing THE DUFF.

Okay, so as far as outlining goes, I started by writing the query. NOt the pretty query that you see now, but a crappy "this is what happens" query. That helped me arrange the plot a little. But that's all I really did. Later, midway through the book, I wrote out a semi-outline. A thing for the final few chapters. Just to get details straight. I didn't follow it specifically, but it was useful.

But the majority of my outlining deals with character development. MOst of the time, the characters spring, fully formed, into my head. It just happens that way! But I do like to make a few fun, ramdom notes. I"m pasting my character notes for THE DUFF below, so you can get a little insight--as if you actually care. Haha!


NOTES

Bianca Lynne Piper
Birthday: May 28
GPA: 3.9
Clubs: Hamilton High Book Club, Beta Club
Favorite Class: Spanish
Favorite Food: Spaghetti (no meatballs)
Favorite Color: Lime green
Favorite Book: The Catcher and the Rye by J. D. Salinger
Favorite Movie: Girl, Interrupted
Favorite TV Show: Gossip Girl, but that’s a big secret
Celebrity Crush: James McAvoy (and Michael J. Fox when he was younger)
Favorite Band/Artist: Paramore
Theme Song: “Bitch” by Meredith Brooks
Aspiration: To be a reporter for the New York Times
Who Would Play Her In a Movie?: Ellen Page

Casey Anne Blithe
Birthday: December 12
GPA: 3.4
Clubs: Cheerleading Squad, Hamilton High Book Club (Bianca made me join)
Favorite Class: Um…no answer
Favorite Food: Cool Ranch Doritos
Favorite Color: Purple
Favorite Book: Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Movie: How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days
Favorite TV Show: Gossip Girl (and I know Bianca watches it, too)
Celebrity Crush: Adam Brody
Favorite Band/Artist: Pussycat Dolls
Theme Song: “Get the Party Started” by Pink
Aspiration: To be a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader
Who Would Play Her In a Movie?: Brittany Snow

Jessica Nicole Gaither
Birthday: June 11
GPA: 3.1
Clubs: Drama Club, Hamilton Book Club (Bianca made me join that one)
Favorite Class: English
Favorite Food: Chocolate swirl ice cream
Favorite Color: Yellow
Favorite Book: The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen
Favorite Movie: Atonement
Favorite TV Show: The Hills
Celebrity Crush: James McAvoy
Favorite Band/Artist: Rihanna
Theme Song: “Innocence” by Avril Lavigne
Aspiration: To be a famous actress
Who Would Play Her In a Movie?: Alyson Malchalka

Wesley Benjamin Rush
Birthday: March 27
GPA: 3.7
Clubs: Beta Club, FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America)
Favorite Class: World History
Favorite Food: Chicken Teriyaki
Favorite Color: Red
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Favorite Movie: All of the James Bond movies
Favorite TV Show: Don’t watch much TV; I’m usually busy with a girl.
Celebrity Crush: Scarlet Johansen, but there are many others.
Favorite Band/Artist: Jack’s Mannequin
Theme Song: “Sexyback” by Justin Timberlake, of course.
Aspiration: To be a CEO
Who Would Play Him in a Movie?: Ed Westwick

Tobias Clay Tucker
Birthday: October 8
GPA: 4.0
Clubs: History Club, Beta Club, FBLA
Favorite Class: AP Government
Favorite Food: Croutons. Just croutons, no salad
Favorite Color: Navy blue
Favorite Book: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Favorite Movie: A Few Good Men
Favorite TV Show: I watch a lot of CNN
Celebrity Crush: Reese Witherspoon
Favorite Band/Artist: Green Day
Theme Song: “Nice Guys Finish Last” by Green Day
Aspiration: To be a senator
Who Would Play Him in a Movie?: Cody Linley

Keep in mind, this is from each character's PoV. So this is what they'd say for themselves, not nexessarily what the world would say. I hope that makes sense! Anyway, these notes might seem pointless to some, but they really give me insight into my characters. Take it for what it's worth!

Anway, that's my random post of the day! Hopefully the next one won't be so boring.

See ya!

2 comments:

Joanna said...

OMG,I told you I am Bianca. Fact: I painted my office lime green and it's my favorite room in my house. Fact: The Catcher in the Rye is in my top 5 favorite books (just ask Amy!). Fact: Girl, Interrupted was an amazing movie (and a fantastic book too). Fact: I loved Michael J. Fox when I was younger too, but more because he was Marty McFly...And finally, Fact: Ellen Page would play me in a movie too, unless they can age Tina Fey down fifteen years.

I knew me and Bianca were kindred spirits!

Altha Fidia Oktora said...



I say many thanks to the father of the website admin I read this, because at this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Obat Kaki Cantengan
Obat Benjolan Di Miss V
Pengobatan Autoimun Herbal