Tuesday, August 18, 2009

BEST DAY EVER!!!

So, guess what I did yesterday? Guess! Guess! I'll give you five seconds....

TIME'S UP!!

I'll have to tell you then, won't I?

So, Sunday night my mom and I drove into New York City. Now, for those of you who don't kno, I"m getting ready to start college in Ithaca, New York, so this was a detour on our way to my college. And it is a detour I will NEVER forget!

After meeting my agent, Joanna, Sunday night (and Thank God for her--or we would have been massively lost, us country folks in the big city!), Mom and I went into Manhattan.

OMG, MANHATTAN!!! Yeah. I've always wanted to go. Never have. It rocked!

So Joanna showed us how to take the train into Manhattan, right? Then, as we get off at Penn Station, we walk up the stairs and THERE is Time Square! It was all dark and lit up and....AMAZING! My Mom just started like silently pointing at something, and Joanna goes, "Oh, yeah. That's the Empire State Building." AKA, the touristy activity I wouldn't let my Mom do because I'm a loser who is afraid of heights, but she isn't holding grudges. :D Just seeing it was surreal enough!

After our seventeen hour drive, we were too exhausted to hang out in the city, so we just went to our hotel--our incredibly NICE hotel--to spend the night. When I say it was nice, I mean it. I swear, we had a living room, a kitchen, and a bedroom. It was a freaking apartment!!

The next morning, Mom and I caught a cab and went to meet Joanna at her office. From there we caught another cab (I come from a place without cabs, so the cute yellow cars made me all giddy inside!) to the offices of LITTLE BROWN! I am not joking!

Little Brown's offices were amazing. Books and posters EVERYWHERE! When Mom tapped me and pointed to a picture of Chuck Bass/Ed Westwick on the wall, I might have died! It was all just so much to take in! And that, my friends, is where I met my editor, Kate. Also a super cool person I was super nervous to meet for no reason! She introduced Mom, Joanna, and I to some of the other cool people at Little Brown, then she introduced us to Cind Egan--the head of Poppy and the editor of, oh, I don't know....GOSSIP GIRL!! Wow!!!

Then the five of us went to lunch, and I focused very hard on not making a fool of myself. Seriously, the conversation went amazing. I mean, believe it or not, agents and editors are normal people, too, but the whole time I found myself worrying that I would making an eating disaster of myself! Lucky for me, I didn't, and the lunch went wonderfully! We talked about my book, other books, TV shows we like, and....zombies. Don't ask. But it went well, and I had a great time!

After lunch, the Little Brown ladies returned to their offices and Mom, Joanna, and I went back to Joanna's office. From there, Mom and I took a short walking trip down to Time Square. We bought smoothies at Starbucks, went to the MTV store (why, oh why, did TRL have to be cancelled before this trip?), and just walked around. After my feet started to hurt, and it really started getting hot--NYC, not cold in the summer--Mom and I headed back to Joanna's office, stopping at a little dress shop along the way. Then we took the train back to our vehicle, talked to Joanna for a bit, and headed out!

It was a busy but amazingly awesome-tastic day!

I won't lie. When I started sending out queries, I never expected a response. When I got requests, I was stunned. When the request became an offer, I was floored. Even then, I don't think I really expected the book to sell. I certainly didn't think it would auction. But only a few weeks after going on submission, it did! And to an amazing publishing house! And, believe it or not, I only started the book in January. Seriously. I wrote the first sentence of The DUFF on January 6th of this year. How fast things can move, right?

Yesterday just made it all seem so much more real. It's amazing and exciting and unbelievable! I've always wanted to be a writer, and now, at eighteen, I'm doing it. I'm really doing it!

Now I'm off to the next adventure--COLLEGE!!! Scary. But I'll keep you up to speed.

Bye, loves!!

16 comments:

Chanelley said...

Sounds SO exciting! I'm so happy for you. Looks like you had a lot of fun.

characterize said...

That is just great!
Ed Westwick
*dies*
Hehe, fantastic stuff!
x
Geekpride

TereLiz said...

That sounds like an amazing experience! Isn't Times Square a little overwhelming at first? And congrats on college. Cornell?

Best wishes,

~Tere

Kristin said...

I'M SO JEALOUS!!! but mostly I'm just way, way happy for you. :D sounds like an AMAZING trip!

Amanda J. said...

That sounds fantastic, glad you had a nice trip! :D

suzie said...

Glad you had fun!

Joanna said...

Um, you forgot about the part where we were stuck on an overly crowded train into NYC that smelled like the beach and BO--you and your mom are such good sports!

Kody Mekell Keplinger said...

Thanks everyone! I did have a great time!

Joanna - Ha! I was too excited to notice! lol That little event was much overshadowed!

Frankie Diane said...

That's soooo exciting!!! Which school in Ithaca? I went to Cornell-if you're going there you will LOVE IT! And if not Ithaca is still like the most awesome city ever!!!

Kody Mekell Keplinger said...

Frankie - I'm going to Ithaca college! Cornell looks awesome, but I"m more of a Liberal Arts type. lol I can't wait!

tilt said...

THIS IS SO AMAZING KODY.

I must live vicariously through you. :)

Becca Cooper said...

Whoot! Sounds like a great time, Kody. =D I'm so insanely jealous. Can't wait for your book to come out!

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

Congrats! Ithaca is made of awesome I loved it there, but hope you have a reallly really really warm jacket!

Kody Mekell Keplinger said...

Yes. I"m told it gets cold here. hahaha

Katie said...

Wow! I can't wait to read The Duff!

Altha Fidia Oktora said...


I say many thanks to the father of the website admin I read this, because at this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Cara Menghilangkan Penyakit Keputihan Pada Wanita
Obat Mata Katarak Terbaik
Multi-Vitamin Untuk Kesehatan Anak
Obat Tumor Alami Herbal
Obat Melancarkan Peredaran Darah
Cara Merawat Mata Agar Tetap Segar dan Sehat
Cara Mengatasi Gangguan Susah Tidur
Obat Nyeri Buang Air Kecil Pada Wanita
Obat Pembersih Usus Kotor
Obat Angin Duduk Tradisional