Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Awesomeness of Modern Adaptations

So, I think some of you already know this about me, but others don't. I LOVE MODERN REMAKES OF CLASSICS!!!! Especially when said classic is set in high school. How fun is that??? So, for kicks and giggles, here's my top three favorite modern adaptations of classics.

1. CRUEL INTENTIONS!
Um, duh. You knew this about me. But lets re-examine, shall we? Cruel Intentions is a modern adaptation of Dangerous Liaisons. Now, after much research I learned that Dangerous Liaisons was not only an amazing movie from a decade or so before my generation emerged, but it is also a classic French novel. How cool is that? Taking this sexual drama and turning it into a dark, teen-comedy was absolutely brilliant.

2. 10 Things I Hate About You
This Heath Ledger classic is actually based on The Taming of the Shrew. Actually, its the whole reason I read The Taming of the Shrew. (Don't tell my high school English teacher. She just thought I was a smart over-achiever. Pssssh....) The way this movie mixed the original Shakespeare comedy with satire and modern culture was absolutely brilliant. No wonder people are still die-hard fans 10 years later.

3. Clueless
Okay, so you may have some pre-concieved notions of this epic Valley Girl saga, but did you know that it is actually based on Jane Austen's Emma? I didn't. But after I found out, I went back and watched Clueless again. I won't lie--I had a WHOLE new respect for the movie! It is surprisingly faithful to Austen's classic. Who knew Austen and Beverly Hills would ever mix? Not me. But it does...BRILLIANTLY!


So now that you know my favorite modern updates, what about things I WANT to see updated? Classics I'd like to see modern adaptations--in book or movie form--of? Here's a top three, in case you're interested.

1. Pride and Prejudice
Yeah, yeah, I know. Bridget Jones is a modern P&P, but I want to see this baby in high school. There is so much there to work with! Someone! Make the movie or write the YA novel! NOOOWWW!

2. The Scarlet Letter
You might have hated the novel in Lit class, but you have to admit the idea of a modern, teenage Hester would be enticing. And with social stigma being such a contemporary subject in high school, I totally think it would kick major ass.

3. Much Ado About Nothing
This is my favorite Shakespeare play...EVER! Mostly because of Beatrice and Benedick. I know, know, know someone will do an adaptation of this. They must. It is bound to happen at some point.


So, yeah. That was Kody's rant of the day. I love these classics! As for me, I'm plotting a modern update of a classic (not one I mentioned) myself. But that is top secret. :D Only a few peeps know about my super-duper, class-updating idea...and they'll never tell....hehehehe!

So, now its your turn. Tell me some of your favorite modern adaptations--in book or movie form. Also, what classics would you like to see updated?

Thanks guys! Love ya'll. Hope you found this at least mildly fun.

Oh, and check out the cool new vid at the top of the page. I LOVE PARAMORE!!!

25 comments:

Becca Cooper said...

O.O Clueless was an adaptation of Emma?! Omg. I can totally see that now that you say it!!!

Wow. That just...wow. Yah. Okay. Wow.

The only modern adaptations I can think of at the moment are The Lion King 1 and 2. XD The first was based on Hamlet, and the second was based on Romeo and Juliet. Shakespeare for small children!

I have to agree that Pride and Prejudice would be (or could be) amazing as a YA novel. I'd looove to see that. =D

Kristin said...

ACK!! Kody, I cannot have an more SNIs! Stop it! :D

Loretta Nyhan said...

Oooh, I can think of three good ones: Heart of Darkness-Apocalypse Now; Shawshank Redemption, and The Princess Bride. All great adaptations.

And, you are so right about Clueless!

Emilia said...

I would LOVE to do a Much Ado About Nothing adaptation. The Beatrice and Benedick relationship is so great - but it would have to be not so stereotypical... hmmm... *sits down in corner to think* haha.

Catherine said...

Have you seen Bride and Prejudice? It's Pride and Prejudice in Bollywood!

Kody Mekell Keplinger said...

Catherine - Yes! I have. But I want to see a high school version of it. :D That would be SOOOO fun!

Joanna said...

I heard there is a really dark adaptation of Peter Pan coming out with Simon Pulse this season where Peter is actually an eater of children's souls...sounds dark and creepy and SO something I would like...

But I would LOVE to see, somehow, some way, an adaptation of The Odyssey...it's my favorite story of all time. But do you know how hard that would be to do, and to do WELL?? And to make sense??? Geez...the author would have to be freaking brilliant.

Kody Mekell Keplinger said...

Joanna - OMG, I'll have to check out the Peter Pan adaptation. I LOVE dark stuff like that. And please tell me you've seen "O Brother Where Art Thou?" Its the closest thing I've seen to an Odyssey update. But I agree. If they could place it in high school...wow. That would be INCREDIBLY entertaining. And hard.

AnimalGurl55 said...

There's totally already a Much Ado About Nothing film :P

Dee said...

Much Ado About Nothing is probably my favorite Shakespeare play of all time! I had to read the part of Beatrice in high school, and my future boyfriend read the part of Benedick! We basically had their same originally relationship, and ended up falling for one another. Oh Shakespeare... you clever man, you.

I've often wondered what it would be like for someone to do a modern adaptation of Little Women. I can't decide if this would be a good or bad idea... mostly because I *love* Little Women and get nervous when anyone tries to change anything about my favorite stories. (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies? WHAT??)

Celise said...

Love CLUELESS, love 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU. I like it when people re-do the classics. But you're right, the ones you mentioned would definitely be interesting to see in YA. Maybe you should do a series...

Kody Mekell Keplinger said...

Celise - Ha! Believe me, if I was creative enough I would do them ALL as YA. I've drafted a few different Pride and Prejudice ideas over the past 3 or 4 years, but they all *sigh* suck a lot. And I'm not clever enough to even attempt Much Ado or Scarlet Letter.

Like I said, though. I have an idea for a classic I could update. It'll be a while before I start it (I have a few other projects that must be wrapped up first) but I think it'll be really fun. :D

Lunar Amyscope said...

First off, that Peter Pan sounds GENIUS.

Secondly, and I'm surprised no one mentioned this and feel incredibly dorky for doing so, but, uhm.... I really loved She's The Man LOL!

Kody Mekell Keplinger said...

Amy - dude, She's the Man was pretty cute. :D

Catt said...

I think there's a movie adaption coming out about The Scarlet Letter. Well... the movie was initially inspired by the book, I don't know if it counts though xD It's called Easy A. Just a nugget of knowledge that I just had to share with you ;D

Now I'm off to ponder about my own adaptations!

Anonymous said...

Kody, it's Mike the writer from Florida. Write when you get the chance, and congratulations! Mike.

Mike1456@hotmail.com

Cassandra said...

Oh I'm so glad you mentioned that Cruel Intentions is an adaption of Dangerous Liaisons! I read Dangerous Liaisons (in French, natch!) and I was just completely blown away by how amazing (and cruel) it is. Definitely worth a read (in English) if you have the time.

mahesh said...

Kody i think you might have just inpired me with an idea for a new ya novel. P and P in high school would be pretty darn awesome with a few twists here and there. omg i'm gonna try it out Kody you rock!

Anonymous said...

gryjozjsyjovgrvjovftw. http://www.acnetreatment2k.com/ - acne treatment
frzmrw

Anonymous said...

Very much am grateful what you're doing here!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am checking this blog using the phone and this appears to be kind of odd. Thought you'd wish to know. This is a great write-up nevertheless, did not mess that up.

- David

Molly Zeidler said...

look up the Lizzie bennet diaries on YouTube, It's a modern adaptation of pride and prejudice (obviously) and its amazing!

Molly Zeidler said...

look up the Lizzie bennet diaries on YouTube, It's a modern adaptation of pride and prejudice (obviously) and its amazing!

Altha Fidia Oktora said...


I say many thanks to the father of the website admin I read this, because at this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Cara Menghilangkan Penyakit Keputihan Pada Wanita
Obat Mata Katarak Terbaik
Multi-Vitamin Untuk Kesehatan Anak
Obat Tumor Alami Herbal
Obat Melancarkan Peredaran Darah
Cara Merawat Mata Agar Tetap Segar dan Sehat
Cara Mengatasi Gangguan Susah Tidur
Obat Nyeri Buang Air Kecil Pada Wanita
Obat Pembersih Usus Kotor
Obat Angin Duduk Tradisional

Jhh Hjh said...

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.