Friday, October 30, 2009

Oh, wow, November already? Well...in a few day. Eeep!

Sunday.

It starts on Sunday.

OMFG, SUNDAY!!!!!

You know what I"m talking about. NaNoWriMo. National Novel Writing Month. The most glorious, scariest, hard-corest (it's a word if I say it's a word!) month of the year.

Yes, obviously, I"m participating. Why? Because I clearly enjoy pain.

Well, okay...so the thing is, maybe I have a bit of an advantage. I mean, I write fast. I finished A Midsummer's Nightmare in less than a month....but it wasn't quite 50,000 words. At least not in the first draft. And The DUFF took me a month and a half. So maybe, just maybe, I can manage.

That does NOT mean I'm not terrified.

So, rather than starting from scratch, I've decided to resurrect an old project. A few months ago, in the pre-agent post-Duff stage, I started working on a little project called GOLDFISH. After three chapters, I put it away. It just wasn't working for me, sadly. And, at the time, I never thought I'd work on it again.

But then Paige--my main character--popped back into my head this September. "Hey, Kody, don't forget about me!"

Well, damn it.

I was going to work on another project for NaNo, but Paige is a persistent little booger. So she won out in the end. (Sorry to the characters I am neglecting this November. Blame Paige. She did this!)

Here's the catch - GOLDFISH is a lot different from the other things I've written. Both The DUFF and A Midsummer's Nightmare are romantic comedies. I'd like to think of them as somewhat "edgy" romantic comedies, but they are, no matter how my cynical little mind tries to spin it, romantic comedies.

GOLDFISH is not.

I mean, there is a romance, but that isn't the central plot. And Paige does have a few funny things to say. She's a very quirky character. But over all, this book is going to be kind of dark....or it will be if I can pull it off. I'm going to be dealing with some heavy subject matter for this book, and I"m even considering a different format. Right now, I"m SERIOUSLY thinking about using present tense. I have NEVER done this before and at one time, I swore I NEVER would...but Paige is arguing with me. *sigh*

Damn writing schizophrenia.

So NaNo is going to be INTENSE. I'm not only writing a novel, but I"m writing a novel that is way, way different from the other novels I've written. Oh, boy. Oh, lord. Oh, what have I committed to?

Let's see if I survive November.

8 comments:

MeganRebekah said...

Did you post a query or brief summary of Goldfish on Absolute Write previously? I think I remember reading it. Either that, or I've finally fell off the tightrope onto the crazy side.

Good luck with Nano!

I'm on the sight under MeganRebekah if you're looking for Nano buddies!

Loretta Nyhan said...

Present tense rules.

Good luck!

Tere Kirkland said...

The synopsis sounds good from what I read on your NaNo profile. NaNo is for challenging yourself, anyway!

Good luck, and I know you can do it!

Emilia Joyce Plater said...

Present tense is my fave thing ever. You'll do great. I'm jealous of your writing SK1LLZ. :D

Lunar Amyscope said...

Welcome to the 'dark' side my dear! I luff yew. You will own this novel in the face.

Becca Cooper said...

Hehe. There's really no point in arguing with your characters, is there? They always win. ;)

Celise said...

I'm coming out of lurkdom to comment. I'm jealous of your writing skills, too. I'm currently writing in present tense as well and it's something I've never done before. That's the one thing an editor will have to look at closely when reading my work: the correct use of tenses. I'm participating, too. If you're looking for NaNo buddies, I'm under "DravensMom."

Good luck!

Altha Fidia Oktora said...



I say many thanks to the father of the website admin I read this, because at this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Obat BAB Keras Untuk Anak
Obat Perawatan Rambut Kulit Dan Kuku
Obat Gangguan Fungsi Ginjal Pada Pria
Obat Pencegah Paru-Paru Basah
Teh Untuk Pengobatan
Obat Untuk Meningkatkan Stamina
Cara Meningkatkan Konsentrasi
Kapsul Mengatasi Kemandulan
Kapsul Penambah Stamina Pria
Obat Penyakit Miom Herbal