Thursday, October 8, 2009

Why Twitter Is Awesome

I used to call Twitter "the stalker site." I used to laugh at people who used it. I used to think it was a dumb waste of time...

Then Kirsten Hubbard (2011 debute author!) forced myself and my lovely friend Kristin Briana Otts (ya'll remember her, right?) to join. We fought against the peer pressure is long as we could!!! But Kirsten is quite persuasive....so we caved.

And now....I'm a twitter-addict!

Before you judge, I want to tell you how Twitter has changed my life. So prepare yourself for its awesomeness.

First, I have met some of the most AMAZING authors through Twitter. Authors I would have probably never met otherwise. Courtney Summers, Malinda Lo, Mandy Hubbard, and Jennifer Brown, all great new writers, use Twitter, and I've talked to all of them!

Agents (not mine...*cough cough*...) often have Twitter accounts. I stalk/follow Suzie Townsend, Janet Reid, and Michelle Andelman through Twitter. (They're aware of this, so it isn't really that creepy.) Just because I already have a book deal doesn't mean the writing advice isn't helpful! But Michael Bourret, Colleen Lindsay, Holly Root, and Kate Schafer Testerman all Tweet, too. And they tweet some amazing advice.

Editors tweet as well. Mine does.

There are chats just for writers. YALitChat is an amazing chat on Wednesdays where a lot of YA Writers and publishers get together to talk about the industry. I just started doing this, and it is great! Fans can join in, too. Advice is dished and big issues--Literary vs. Commercial, How Far is too Far? etc--are discussed. It's a lot of fun!

I can keep in touch with a lot of other soon-to-be published writers. Heidi King, Daisy Whitney, and Victoria Schwab are fantastic debut authors who are amazingly cool. So I totally know what books to be buying in 2010 and 2011!!! Twitter is the place to be if you want to meet awesome people before they're famous.

And let's not forget the book bloggers!!!! I talk to so many great, teen book bloggers on Twitter. I get great book recommendations as well as some awesome insight into book blogging. I'm so excited to see what my book blogger friends think of THE DUFF. Scared, too, but I'll focus on excited. Twitter is the best place to connect.

So if you're an aspiring writer, add this to the advice pile: Get A Twitter Page.

Trust me, you'll thank me later.

17 comments:

Joanna said...

Uuuuugggggggghhhhhhhh...will I have to get one of these now...???

Victoria Schwab said...

Yes Joanna, YES.

Hehe thanks bb. I am so glad you're on Twitter!! I try to explain to people that if you're in the pub. industry, it's actually a really helpful resource, not to mention fun!!

suzie said...

It's all about the peer pressure Joanna :)

I was skeptical about twitter too when I was first pressured into getting an account, but it really is a great way to connect with other people in the industry - writers, editors, agents, readers, and bloggers.

Who else would I have long drawn out Buffy conversations with?

Kody Mekell Keplinger said...

Heeeheee. You KNOW you want to, Joanna!

Lol. Yes, Victoria, I'm super happy I have a twitter to talk to awesome-tastic peeps like you and Susan Adrian. Knowing other writers is such a thrill!


OMG, Suzie, YES!!! Twitter helps with Buffy discussions, of course. That is what it was MADE for!kk

Tere Kirkland said...

LOL, I've been holding out on the Twitter account, but you've almost sold me. Buffy discussions, lol, nice to see that Twitter is such an amazing professional resource!

Hope school's going well for you, isn't it almost midterm time? Ahh, I miss it. A little. ;)

Oh, and stop by my blog if you want to win a copy of "The Hollow"!

Susan Adrian said...

YES, Joanna!! There is a space on Twitter just waiting for you!! :)

I totally agree with Kody. Of course.

Dee said...

Oh lord... I've been avoiding this so well! But now I feel like I'm out of the super-cool-people-in-publishing loop.

Kirsten Hubbard said...

seems like I must direct my infamous powers of twitterly persuasion towards Joanna here...

*directs powers*

Kristin Miller said...

As much as you come up, Joanna, you might as well already be on twitter. We all just want you on ever so much. Of course, your twitter name will have to be joannawhodoesnottwitter or I won't know who you are.

Emilia said...

So my comment was, initially:

"*strangled noise, plants claws in ground, cries* Nooo!"

But then I didn't submit and went to do something else. And as I was doing that thing, I kept thinking about this post. And now...

Oh gosh. Maybe. Someday. At some point. !!!

Raven said...

Twitter is awesome! And very very addictive.

Becca Cooper said...

Hehe. I too was recently converted to Twitterism.

I have got to check out that YAlitchat!

Ami The Salami said...

I swear, half of my tweets are from you :)

Debbie said...

Kody, you said it so well - why Twitter is great for us writers. Thanks for being an inspiring member of the Twitterverse while still going to Sociology and debating in Pennsylvania and editing your second book and gearing up for your next book and....

Kody Mekell Keplinger said...

Hahaha! I love how clear it is that you stalk me, Debbie! :) I'm flattered.

Kristin said...

The thing is, some agents/editors/publishers don't have time to blog - but they do have time to Twitter. So it's a good idea to have a Twitter if only to follow along with the rest of the industry.

*grudgingly admits a certain admiration for Twitter*

Happy, Kirsten? :P

Altha Fidia Oktora said...



I say many thanks to the father of the website admin I read this, because at this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Obat BAB Keras Untuk Anak
Obat Perawatan Rambut Kulit Dan Kuku
Obat Gangguan Fungsi Ginjal Pada Pria
Obat Pencegah Paru-Paru Basah
Teh Untuk Pengobatan
Obat Untuk Meningkatkan Stamina
Cara Meningkatkan Konsentrasi
Kapsul Mengatasi Kemandulan
Kapsul Penambah Stamina Pria
Obat Penyakit Miom Herbal