Monday, November 9, 2009

O. M. F. G.

From Publisher's Marketplace/Deals/Film Rights:

Seventeen-year-old debut author Kody Keplinger's THE DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend), pitched as reminiscent of Juno and She's Come Undone, in which a cynical and witty "DUFF" decides the intrigue of casual sex with a gorgeous-but-jerkoff player is more alluring than facing her own issues with self-esteem...until it all goes wrong when they realize they're falling in love, to Vast Entertainment, in a pre-empt, with McG (CHARLIE'S ANGELS, TERMINATOR: SALVATION) attached to direct, by Brendan Deneen at Fineprint Literary Management on behalf of Joanna Stampfel-Volpe at Nancy Coffey Literary & Media Representation.


Okay, so FYI, I"m not seventeen anymore, so don't get all confused. Haha. I want to throw that out there first.

Second - SQUEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright, alright, alright. Let me start by saying that this does NOT mean that a movie will definitely be made. There's no script, no cast, not fancy red carpet. None of that is set yet.

The movie was optioned. What that means is that Vast bought the OPTION to make my book a movie. Now it's up to them to find writers, producers, actors, directors--oh, look we have one of those! More on that in a sec--and get the movie happening. It might NOT happen. Nothing is set in stone. But this means it's possible.

Now, let me talk a little about that "attached to direct" bit. Apparently--ohmygoshohmygosh--McG wants to DIRECT this if it comes to a movie. Incase you don't know, I LOVE McG!!! I mean, even BEFORE any of this.

I know the names of VERY few directors/producers. But I know McG. You see, my ALL TIME favorite television show is THE OC. I meam, I love, love, love that show. And McG was a producer. So when my amazing, fabulous, wonderful, rockstar agent called to tell me this might happen, (oh, yeah, I've known for a little while, so you should have seen me when I FIRST found out) she said, "And there's a director already interested. I don't know if you've heard of him. His name is McG."

My Response: "OH MY GOD I KNOW WHO McG IS!!!!"

My agent: *sounding a little startled* "Oh, okay."

Me: "Oh my God, he worked on The OC. I love, love, love The OC!"

So, yeah. That was a spazz out moment. Even if nothing comes of this, the fact that McG - Mc-freaking-G!! - wants to direct The DUFF is way, way more than I ever expected.

Wow. Wow, wow, wow. So much good news and the book isn't even out for almost a year! I can't believe it! So glad I can tell all of you. So that's my big news of the day. Now, off to write a history paper. Boo....

45 comments:

Catherine said...

Holy holy holy holy moly. That is absolutely incredible news. I am sitting here, awestruck by it all. Wowsers.

Dan Krokos said...

Keep kicking ass.

Lisa and Laura said...

Congratulations Kody!!! This is beyond exciting! It's so funny that you say that about the OC because as I was reading the announcement I was thinking to myself, I can't believe they forgot to mention the OC!

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

WOw that is FANTASTIC! Congrats!!!!

Nikki said...

Kody, this is SO cool! I remember when I was lurking on AW, reading your sample chapters and thinking "This girl's got it." You SO got it, girl! Congrats!
I'll bet you made Joanna happy, too;-)

Emilia Joyce Plater said...

It's gonna happen. I can feel it. :) This made my day - congrats, congrats, congrats!!

Loretta Nyhan said...

Yay! Super exciting. McG puts together some great movies--how surreal will it be to see your characters up on the big screen?!!

Virginia @ Where You Hang Your Hat said...

Talk about "insanity." That is insane! I am totally excited with you because The OC is one of my favorite shows of all time, too. Congratulations!

Becca Cooper said...

Whoot! This is amazing! =D

Have you blogged about your dream cast yet? *goes to look*

Mel said...

That's so awesome Kody, I can't wait to read your book!

choco (In Which a Girl Reads) said...

WOW!

That is amazing news. The Duff sounds like it would make such a great movie!!! :p

Kate said...

I love when great things happen to nice people!

Dee said...

Kody, you are too cool. This is amazing news! Congrats!!!

Katie said...

This is incredible!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!! Wow.

Karen Denise said...

INSANE!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!

Daisy Whitney said...

You do realize most of us never got this kind of coolness levels at 17???

Kody Keplinger said...

Thanks everyone! SO much!

Daisy - LIke I said, I'm not 17 anymore. lol

Catt said...

HOLY FADOODLE HUCKER, THAT IS SO EPICALLY AWESOME!!!

*throws a parade to celebrate*

Suzanne Young said...

Snickerdoodle! That's awesome! Congrats!

Lunar Amyscope said...

You are INCREDIBLE!

Lunar Amyscope said...

You are INCREDIBLE!

Sarahbear9789 said...

That is amazing, Kody! I am so excited for you.

Kim Harrington said...

Awesome news!!!!

lfg said...

Congratulations! Vey exciting stuff.

lfg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

Congrats!! That's amazing news!

Reverie said...

HUGE congrats!!! Cant wait to read DUFF! And WOW you should like spazz out some more bc that is awesome!

sharigreen said...

Woohooooooooooo!! Kody, awesome! Sooo excited for you! :D

Kay Cassidy said...

SO exciting, Kody!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Tere Kirkland said...

Congrats, girl!!

Sara ♥ said...

Kody - that is so great! I seriously have goosebumps for you :) You're such an inspiration for the rest of us ♥

Paranormalchick said...

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!! Awesome News!

Adele said...

How freaking unbelievably awesome. Big congrats!!

Thao said...

Wicked ;D
Congrats to you!!!

Kate at Read This Book! said...

Wow that's really awesome news! =D Congrats! I can't believe you're only 18! That's so cool!

Leila Austin said...

That is beyond awesome. Congratulations!!! :-)

inkspatters said...

Followed the link to your blog over from AW, and I just have to say: WOW, CONGRATS!

And...I know who McG is too. Lol.

Bee said...

WOW!!! I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY!!
FREAKING AMAZING!!
I'm so happy for you..lap it all up!!

Heidi R. Kling said...

This is so incredibly exciting, Kody!
McG is so talented--!!
Keep us posted on all things DUFF: THE MOVIE

(PS. Whenever I see your title I think about adorable Hillary Duff and how much I love her story line on Gossip Girl--maybe she can attach to star!!)

!!!

Shelli said...

awesome!

Kody Keplinger said...

I LOVE YOU ALL!

Heidi - Um...no. Hillary is definitely not much like my MC....she could potentially fit as one of the blond friends, but she is no Duff. lol

suzie townsend said...

Congrats!!! :) Love McG!

Velma Brown said...

Congrats Kody,

I've been following your blog and amaze at all your accomplishments. Although I don't know you personally, you seem to have a good spirit, and I so love when good things happen to good people. Congrats, and keep us updated!

Anonymous said...

[ ... ] link is being shared on Twitter right now. @zenx, an influential author, said RT @1ndus: Xtreme [ ... ]

Altha Fidia Oktora said...


I say many thanks to the father of the website admin I read this, because at this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Obat Untuk Atasi Kemandulan
Krim Jerawat
Obat Sakit Tenggorokan
Obat pembersih Rahim Kotor
Cara Mengatasi Gigi Berlubang
Obat Sakit Payudara Bengkak
Cara Menghilangkan Kejang Perut
Obat Herbal Kanker Otak Terbaik
Obat Herbal Bronkitis Kronis
Kopi Yang Sehat Bagi Jantung