Saturday, June 19, 2010

Nothing So Wonderful

There is one feeling that I have truly decided is the best in the world.

Finishing a first draft.

The night I finished my first draft of THE DUFF I both laughed and cried with relief. It wasn't my first novel. I'd written at least three (but we don't talk about those *shiver*) before that. But I knew - I knew even in first draft stage - that it was the best thing I'd written up until then.

Last summer, when I finished my - very short - first draft of A MIDSUMMER'S NIGHTMARE, I danced around my dorm room in Evansville. The last few chapters had been Hell to write, and I was thrilled to have it done (and to go on a long vacation before touching it again).

In December, I finished the first draft of GOLDFISH. That novel was - and still is - the work I am most proud of, but it was very, very hard to write. The first 40,000 words were done in a month, but those last 12,000 words took me a month to write. It has challenging, it was painful, but when that last word hit the page, I was so happy I nearly cried, the way I had with THE DUFF.

Yesterday, I finished the first draft of the book I've been referring to as Project L. I do have a title for it now, but I'll wait to announce it another day. Anyway, Project L was SUPPOSED to be done in March, but revisions upon revisions of the synopsis and first few chapters kept holding me back and starting me over. I was really beginning to hate the book. Hate writing it. Hate everything.

And then, last night, I finished.

And I don't hate it anymore.

That's the thing no one tells you. There are going to be moments when you really, really hate what you are working on. There are going to be moments when you want to give up and write something else. There are going to be moments when you question whether or not you have any talent at all. It's misery.

But it still doesn't compare to the joy and pride you feel when you finish that first draft.

There's still a long road ahead for this book - I have to revise, polish, and edit. It needs a lot of work, but that's okay. Because the basis is there. The story is out. And I'm proud to say, I wrote another novel.

So just remember, even when you think your writing sucks or your story sucks or you suck - if you just keep going, it'll all be worth it.

And, the point of this post was just to say, YAY I FINISHED THE FIRST DRAFT OF ANOTHER BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!! And now, because I am insane, I'm already plotting the next. :-)

18 comments:

Kaitlin Ward said...

Good work, Kody :)
You're right, it's a great feeling to finish that first draft!

Meredith said...

Yay for finishing the first draft! Now you get to reward yourself--I always love taking the day off or buying a pint of ice cream or something. Good luck planning the next one!

Hayley said...

Nice job! I wanted thank you for posting this it was just what I needed to read today. And have fun plotting the next one!

Courtney Allison Moulton said...

WHOA! You're already done?? Okay crazy woman... You'd better be on AIM tonight.... =)

Laura Marcella said...

Thanks for sharing such an inspiring and motivating post! I needed to hear this kind of encouragement today.

Congrats on finishing another book! Good luck with revisions, and have fun plotting your next one! :)

Emilia Plater said...

*runs around* WHOOOOOO!! :)

Kirsten said...

Woohoo, congrats! That feeling is definitely beautiful. I'm kind of at the misery stage, so this is exactly what I needed to hear. There's hope, haha. I'm excited to hear your title!!

storyqueen said...

Congratulations, Kody!!!

You are right, it's one of the best feelings there is.

Shelley

Candyland said...

I wish I had like an ounce of your insanity! I couldn't write that fast if my life depended on it. Wanna share some?
*needs some*

M.J. Horton said...

Thanks so much Kody! I'm getting into this stage right now with my WIP. I'm about halfway done, but I'm just afraid that it's horrid. Thanks for the encouragement!

ali said...

Congratulations! And how awesome to be so prolific - that just rocks!!!

Jess said...

Kody, you are awesome! Congrats on finishing yet another book! And it's so great that you already have ideas for your next one. I am seriously impressed.

I have only finished one novel, but I can TOTALLY relate to that almost bipolar feeling of relief. It is strangely addicting, isn't it? I am starting my second novel now, and I can't wait to finish it!

Kristin Briana Otts said...

Congrats again, Kody!!! :D

chasing empty pavements said...

You are complete inspiration. You are amazing. Thank you for saying the words some of us are too scared to admit to ourselves.

Linda said...

The first time I finished a first draft, I jumped in the air and screamed with relief and happiness. It really is an awesome feeling.

Realm Lovejoy said...

Fantastic post, Kody. Totally know what you mean...there's nothing quite like finishing a first draft!

Izzy G. said...

Oh, I love finishing first drafts :)

Revisions. Hmm. Now there's another story. (scary scary scary SCARY)

Altha Fidia Oktora said...

I say many thanks to the father of the website admin I read this, because at this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Obat Mual Dan Muntah Karena Penyakit Yang Aman
Cara Menghilangkan Kelenjar Tiroid
Obat Benjolan Di Pantat
Obat Alami Benjolan Di Selangkangan
Cara Menghilangkan Sakit Tulang Punggung
Obat Urine Berwarna Coklat
Obat Untuk Mencegah Stroke Kronis
Agen Ace Maxs Kuningan
Obat Benjolan Di Selangkangan
Obat Benjolan Di Belakang Telinga