Tuesday, October 26, 2010

RTW - Best Book of October

It's been a while since I've done an RTW, mostly because I've been mad crazy insane busy with everything, and unlike most of the other lovely YAHighway girls, I haven't quite figured out the art of time management - yeah, working on it.

But this week's topic is The Best Book You Read in October - and its one I just couldn't pass up. It just so happens that October has been a great reading month for me. I've read a few great books, and it just felt right to talk about them! The trouble was, picking only one to talk about. I almost did this post about Jane by April Lindner, but since I think I'm going to do a review on that soon (stay tuned!) I decided to blog about a non-YA novel that really, really got to me this month.


Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro took me by surprise. I don't often venture far out of YA, but when I do, I am usually pleased. With this book, though, I was nervous. I had no idea about the plot at all, only that the movie had just hit selected theaters and taht a friend of mine considered it to be one of those books that stays with you for years. Of course, I wanted to read it, but what did I expect? Not much. Not really.

There's a reason I'm not doing a full review of this book. It's because I can't tell you the plot without ruining a major part. What I can tell you is that the reader learns about the world slowly. We are told the story as if we are already familiar with this world. Yes, it can be confusing, but trust me, it is worth the wait.

The narrator, Kathy, tells the story of her childhood and early adulthood in a beautiful, tragic way - the way someone sitting at the bus stop or on a park bench may recount their life to you. Scenes are out of order and a little scattered, but Ishiguro handles this masterfully. You learn with Kathy. You discover things just as she does and, inevitably, feel for her. The writing is gorgeous and true.

I can't tell you much more about the book. I want you to discover Ishiguro's world for yourself. But I can tell you this - it is one of the most beautiful books I've read. Quiet, a little spooky, and utterly heartbreaking. I hope you will all give it a shot.

<3

7 comments:

DJ's Life in Fiction said...

I really want to see the movie and hope to do so soon, but I've been equally as curious about the book. I anticipate a trip to the bookstore after seeing the movie. :-)

Meredith said...

I've heard nothing but good things about this book. I need to check it out. :)

Kaitlin Ward said...

That sounds awesome, Kody. I might have to read this one!

KO said...

hmmm, sounds intriguing. Will add it to my list.

Rebecca B said...

Oh, I've been meaning to read this for ages. Must get a copy.

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

I loved this book. It was one of the most astonishing books I've read in a while and I'm hoping the movie really lives up to my expectations now.

Aisyah Putri Setiawan said...

I say many thanks to the father of the website admin I read this, because at this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Obat Gout
Obat Kelenjar Adrenal
Obat iritasi Mata
Obat Alergi
Menghilangkan Penyakit Gagal Jantung
Obat Herbal Aritmia Jantung
Tips Menghilangkan Batu Ginjal
Obat Kanker Usus Besar Herbal
Obat Kanker Paru Paru Yang Aman
Obat Campak Alami