Friday, November 19, 2010

Team Ron!!!

Like the rest of the Proud Nerds of the world, I attended the In costume. midnight showing of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 tonight. At midnight. As in, it's 3:30 am, I have a test tomorrow, and I'm dressed as Hermione Granger.

Being a college student and a nerd at the same time? It gets challenging, kids.

But this is not a movie review. My only note is that this is BY EPIC LEAPS AND BOUNDS OF EPICNESS the best movie in the series thus far. The scariest, saddest, funniest, and most faithful adaptation yet. Bravo Warner Brothers. Brah-voa.

And with that little part taken care of, I want to talk about something similar but nto wholy related. I want to talk about Ron Weasley.

I've talked on here about book crushes before. I've had a lot of them. But my very first book crush was Ron. It happened in The Chamber of Secrets when he ended up puking slugs after defending Hermione's honor. Something about him was just so sweet and genuine that hee became my favorite character. From that moment on, even when I sided with Hermione (because honestly, I'm a lot like Hermione), I secretly hoped Ron would be the victor. When Ron was in pain, I was in pain. As the characters and I grew older together, my fondess and attachment to Ron grew, too.

Tonight, while watching the movie, I realized just how fond of this boy I am. Even when he is being a complete douchebag, I sympathized. Here's the thing about Ron - he's a normal teenage boy. He's not the chosen one. He's not a genius of epic proportions. He's just a teenage boy with extraordinary friends. He's insecure, he's sometimes jealous, but he's also very loyal to those he loves - and he loves a lot. So even when he's being a doodie-butt, I love him, because he's so real.

Tonight, there were two Ron-moments when the theater burst into applause. Me among them, of course. Because even after making mistakes, Ron corrects them, and that deserves recognition.

I hear a lot of people bash Ron, and it always feels a tad personal to me. I got so attached to this character - to this very real boy - that it feels like someone trash talking my best friend.

This, peeps, is the sign of a great book crush. When a reader is so invested, so devoted, that they feel like the character is real. You know you have a great character on your hands when he can be a jerk and you still understand where he's coming from. He was my first book crush, and he'll be my book crush for a long, long time.

I just hope that, one day, someone can get even half as attached to one of my characters as I've felt ot Ron Weasley over the past nine years that I've been reading the series. If someone can truly find a friend in one of my characters - even if not a crush - I will know that I've done my job right.

So, even though she probs will never read this, I want to say thank you to JK Rowling. You inspired me, you made me who I am as a reader and a writer, and you created a character that will forever be dear to my heart.

TEAM RON!!!!!!!!

7 comments:

Loretta Nyhan said...

My youngest looks exactly like a Weasley, so I might be a bit biased, but TEAM WEASLEY ALL THE WAY!

And I love Ron for all the reasons you so eloquently detailed. The three--Harry, Ron, and Hermione--feel like old friends. That's quite an accomplishment for Rowling--she's my hero!

Kaitlin Ward said...

I think Ron is awesome for all the reasons you said, and I think he's sweet and perfect for Hermione. I always hoped, right from the beginning, that there would be a Ron/Hermione romance. (Good work, JK Rowling!) I always liked Ron more than Harry. I definitely never had crush-like feelings towards him (it would feel like cheating on Fred...or Sirius) but I think he's one of the best characters in the series.
Also, I don't think he gets enough credit on the intelligence scale. He and Harry look rather plain smarts-wise with super-driven Hermione around, but Ron got into the upper level potions class that had what was it, eight people in it, or something like that? He was clearly above average as a student, even with his lackluster attitude towards school.

Ariana said...

I always wanted a friend like Ron. Who wouldn't? I'm going to see the movie in two and a half hours and cannot WAIT. Thanks for not posting spoilers.

Anonymous said...

I love Harry Potter! Ron ALWAYS makes me laugh! Along with his family! THE WEASLEY'S ARE AWESOME!!!!

Claire Dawn said...

Oh, I'm definitely attached to Wesley like that. SWOON.

And, Deathly Hallows Part 1 was amazing. Can't wait for Part 2 :)

Anonymous said...

А! 好贴。谢谢

Aisyah Putri Setiawan said...

I say many thanks to the father of the website admin I read this, because at this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Obat Gout
Obat Kelenjar Adrenal
Obat iritasi Mata
Obat Alergi
Menghilangkan Penyakit Gagal Jantung
Obat Herbal Aritmia Jantung
Tips Menghilangkan Batu Ginjal
Obat Kanker Usus Besar Herbal
Obat Kanker Paru Paru Yang Aman
Obat Campak Alami