Sunday, January 2, 2011

My Writing Resolution for 2011

Let me start by saying - HOLY CRAP 2011??????? How did THAT happen? Someone needs to stomp their foot down on the brakes of time because it is going way, way too fast for this girl.


But another year means another chance to improve myself, and that's what this post is about. I always set resolutions - some I keep, some I utterly fail at. But I always try. This year, I'm making some writing resolutions. This year my first book was published, which means now I have to focus on my career plus my education plus my entire life.

So here are some of my goals for 2011.

1.) WRITE SOMETHING DIFFERENT
This year, I want to challenge myself. I've been writing contemporary YA for a long time now, and, even if it never gets published, I want to attempt something new. Maybe that's writing an urban fantasy or maybe that's writing a screenplay. I don't know, and I"m not going to pressure myself too much, either. This isn't for my career, this is for me. I just want to be challenged a little.

2.) BLOG MORE
I'm a neglectful blogger, I know. I suck. So this year, I plan to blog at least twice a week, starting today. Lets just hope I have somethign to blog about.

3.) WRITE AT LEAST TWO FIRST DRAFTS
I wrote 3 first drafts of novels in 2009. I only wrote one in 2010. I've decided by goal each year should be two, so this year I resolve to not only edit A Midsummer's Nightmare, but I plan to compose two first drafts of novels. Let's hope this isn't the goal that kills me.


And for the most part - at least in the writing part of my life - that's it. Of course, I also want to lose wait and figure out what in God's name I'm doing with the rest of my life, yada yada yada. But that's the BORING STUFF!!!

What are your writing - OR READING!!! - resolutions for 2011?

11 comments:

Caitlin R. O'Connell said...

The urban fantasy you were telling me about the last time we had dinner sounded awesome. Sounds like a good one to start with if you want to give it a try. :)

Bee said...

A screenplay sounds cool.
I'm just gonna try finishing my book and start querying. For reals, this time.

Susanne Winnacker said...

I want to write the sequel to my book and write another book. So two books for me this year. We'll see how that'll work out. :D

Mrs. DeRaps said...

I love the part where you're going to try something new in terms of your writing. I'll read whatever you write--talent is talent. No specific genre required! Happy New Year!

How to Write said...

A resolution seems nice but I have always believed in on the fly write ups which always prove to more juicy and plumpy:)

I would love keeping a schedule myself but being a writer of the phases it seems difficult at times :(

Tracey Neithercott said...

I want to finish and query the book that is now in the first draft stage. And then I'd like to research and write a new idea I've been toying with. If I'm super productive, I'd like to get to the point of sending that out.

Lucy @ Adventures in Bookland said...

I have an almost-finished rough draft from NaNoWriMo, and I want to finish that sucker up, give it a good edit, and get it out to my writing group.

My main goal is to write more, period. I loved the energy during November, when I'm writing frantically every day, and I want to at least have a shadow of that drive during the rest of the year.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

It sounds like you have a good plan for 2011! I like that you want to try and write in a different genre....Have fun, Kody!

Hearing Aids said...

Superb blog post, I have book marked this internet site so ideally I’ll see much more on this subject in the foreseeable future!

Anonymous said...

deep accubrush core ticonderoga black ticonderoga nimh andy motorcycle case autodesk history of word fruits http://www.purchasetoday.tk
http://www.bigogo.tk

Aisyah Putri Setiawan said...

I say many thanks to the father of the website admin I read this, because at this website I know a lot of information information that I did not know before his

Obat Infeksi Rahim
Obat Migren Ibu Menyusui
Menghilangkan Iritasi Lambung
Cara Menghilangkan Kelenjar Payudara
Obat Untuk Menghilangkan Luka Kecelakaan Alami
Cara Menghilangkan Penyakit Mesothelioma
Obat Tumor Parotis
Maag Anak Tradisional
Obat Sindrom Ovarium Polikistik
Obat Adenomyosis