Thursday, March 8, 2012

My 4th Book Has Sold!!!

So I'm going to tell you a story.


Three years ago, a character popped into my head. Her name was Paige. She smiled a lot, she had a pet goldfish named Todd, and she had a dark, dark past.

Two and a half years ago, I finally wrote her story.

I revised that story many, many times over the years, getting to know Paige, her family, and her story better each time.

Two months ago, that story sold.

Today, I can talk about.

Here's what PM had to say about my 4th novel, GOLDFISH.

Author of The DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) Kody Keplinger's GOLDFISH, about a teen dealing with the fallout from her failed suicide attempt and her romance with a boy with secrets of his own, again to Kate Sullivan at Poppy, for publication Fall 2013, by Joanna Volpe at Nancy Coffey Literary & Media Representation (World).



This story was one of the hardest to write, and I think it'll also be one of the hardest to edit, but you know what? I'm SO excited. Paige is one of my favorite characters I've ever written. She's completely different from Bianca or Lissa or Whitley. In fact, the whole book is different. For one, it's in present tense, something I'd never tried before writing it. It's also much darker than the others and more of a drama instead of a comedy - don't get me wrong, A MIDSUMMER's NIGHTMARE (out in June) has it's darker bits, but Paige's story is different even from that.

Since PM didn't tell you much, I'll tell you just a little more - not too much since the book won't be out until next Fall, but a little bit more won't hurt.

The story is about Paige, an 18-year-old counting down the days until graduation - the days until she can escape from her small, unforgiving hometown in western Kentucky. Two and a half years ago, Paige attempted suicide. Now, she feels like everyone is watching her, like she has to be shiny, happy, and golden for them - like her goldfish, Todd. Paige doesn't think they'll ever forget about her past, then she meets a boy who has just moved to her high school and doesn't know her story. That's when things start to change.


I wish I could say more - I could say so mucha bout this story - but for now, I think we'll leave it at that. I'm so, so excited to share Paige with you all. I hope you love her as much as I do.

And now, I must go, for I have edits to dive into. But hurray!!!! 4 books in, and this feeling of joy never goes away!! I LOVE MY JOB!!!!

35 comments:

Tiffany Schmidt said...

Congratulations, Kody! So excited to read this :)

Gaby Pendragon said...

Congrats Kody!!! I'm so happy for you!!
You're a great author and I'm sure "Goldfish" would be awesome!! *Hugs*

Reading Angel said...

Congrats!! I'm so excited to read this and Midsummers!! :)

Yiling said...

Congrats! I can't wait to read Goldfish :)

Kristin Halbrook said...

Yay!!!!! <3<3<3

Lisa Schroeder said...

Congratulations Kody - it sounds amazing!!

Phoebe said...

Wonderful, Kody! So happy for you!!

E.Maree said...

This sounds right up my alley, can't wait to read it. :) Roll on Fall 2013!

E.Maree said...

This sounds right up my alley, can't wait to read it. :) Roll on Fall 2013!

Hardygirl said...

I'm so HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!

sf

Meagan said...

AWESOME! Congratulations.

.Ambur. said...

Yay! Congratulations, Kody! :D
I definitely can't wait to read Goldfish, of course, before that I can't wait to read A Midsummer's Nightmare! :D

Anonymous said...

Does it also take place in Hamilton? i love that all ur books r taking place there =D like sara dessen!!!

Kody Keplinger said...

Thank you so much, everyone!!!

Anon - No, it doesn't. This book is very, very different, as I said. Don't worry - I'll likely return to Hamilton at some point, but Paige isn't part of that world.

Margaret said...

Great job! So excited to read Goldfish and A Midsummer's Nightmare!!

The Romance Bookie said...

YAY!!!!!!! Congratulations!! I am SOOOOO excited!!!! :) "Goldfish" sounds like a great story!! But then again when it comes to your books, what else did I expect?! LOL :)

Sana said...

I am highly anticipating A Midsummer's Nightmare and now I have to wait for Goldfish, too! Not fair because it sounds awesome! I also love your job lol

Congratulations! =D

Sana @ artsy musings of a bibliophile

Cindy said...

Congrats Kody. I am so happy for you. I have read your previous two books and loved loved them and I actually have Midsummers sitting on my shelf to read and I can't wait to read it.

Goldfish sounds exciting.

Kiersten White said...

Oh congrats!! So exciting : )

JoSVolpe said...

Woooooooo!

That is all.

Lisa Desrochers said...

*smooches* Love this book and so will everyone else! =)

Shelby Bach said...

CONGRATS, Kody!!! Can't wait to read! :-)

Chey said...

So very excited for you! Can't wait to read it, Kody! It sounds amazing and I feel like I can definitely relate to Paige.

Susan Salem said...

Congrats! can't wait to read it!

яªтнªиªк said...

great can't wait to read it .. I'm reading shut out right now i just want to ask it is based on the high school Hamilton High because I'm pretty sure I've never came cross the characters from shut out in the book the duff ????

J. B. Kantt said...

Congratulations Kody!!!!!! :D
You're such an inspiration!
I'm a college student currently in the querying process. If I could have just a fraction of the success you've had, I'd feel really blessed! :)

Keep up the AMAZING work!!!!! :D

Leonora said...

Congrats!
This is so amazing!
Did you know your books are available in audio?
Do you like audio books yourself? And do you like them digital or on CD?
I love iTunes, because they have everything that is on Audible. But I'm not so fond of Audible's downloading software, so I use iTunes instead.

By the way, I really love your blog! I like the way you write in general. I have not read any of your books yet. But I'm soooo going to!!!!

Hugs!

LinkinParkGirl said...

I have read all of your books as ARC's and I can't wait to read Goldfish! I was so excited to read Midsummers Dream and it was soo much better then I hoped it would be! Thank you for making my favorite charactor from the Duff one of the main charactors!!!!The Duff is still my favorite though! Congradulations!!!! I can't wait to read Goldfish! It will be great to read one of your books that comes from outside of Hamilton (although I will miss the Nest alot!) :)

Anonymous said...

I found your first book in my language arts teacher class and i read it and loved it. Soo i looked online too see if you had any others i found shut out and had to get it soo i asked my grandma if she could get it for me for christmas and i got that :) then i got a midsummers nightmare this year for my birthday now im gonna ask for this one when it comes out i cannot wait youur officially my favorite author ever!

ere said...

Kodi.... inicie a leerte una tare lluviosa hace un mes, the duff, realmente al leer la reseña del libro no me llamo la atención, pero siempre he pensado que es necesario experimentar todo tipo de lecturas. NO ME ARREPIENTO DE NADA. Me cautivaron tus romances, no lo puedo negar, pero sobre todo me encanta la forma en que eres capaz de llegar a los temas de una forma que jamás en mi existencia se me hubiese ocurrido. Mas adelanta, cuando supe que tenias mas libros, wow! enseguida los comencé a leer.
hoy te felicito por tus libros, por tu éxito, pero sobretodo por que has demostrado ser una buena persona; a través de tus libros, por que con ellos de ventana encontré un poco de ti. FELICIDADES! Y QUE TENGAS MUCHO ÉXITO EN LA VIDA.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Kody! I love all your books my favorite has to be shut out! i can't wait to read goldfish!

Metamorfosis said...

Pelatihan SDM is a network marketing and training information or training an employee who has worked with many consulting firms and training institutions.
pendidikan dan pelatihan sdm, pelatihan akuntansi, sales marketing, manajemen bisnis, administrasi kantor, lembaga training motivasi, pelatihan sumber daya manusia, training manajemen, training sdm, informasi training, pusat pelatihan, pelatihan rumah sakit, training provider jakarta, training jakarta, training consultant jakarta, training center,

annie bringas said...

congrats!! i cant wait to read it!! you're amazing!! and you have the best job in the world, believe me

Aisyah Putri Setiawan said...


Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Gejala Gejala Penyakit Kanker Yang Sering Di Abaikan
Obat Alami Untuk Menyembuhkan Luka Diabetes
Obat Untuk Penderita Kanker Rahim
Cara Untuk Mencegah Radang Gusi
Cegah Diabetes Dengan Buah Blueberry
Jenis Kandungan Yang Terkandung Di Dalam Bawang Merah
Nutrisi Agar Bayi Cerdas Sejak Ada Di Dalam Kandungan
Hal Yang Bisa Menyebabkan Dan Mendatangkan Sembelit
Obat Herbal Untuk Penyakit Kanker Mulut
Haluskan Kulit Wajah Dengan Bahan Alami Ini

Jhh Hjh said...

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.