Sunday, May 20, 2012

My Favorite Summer Reads


So summer is here, and with school out, it's primetime for a little unrequired reading! So I thought I'd share some of my favorite summer reads with you guys, as well as a few books I'm hoping to get to during the next few months.


Summer Favorites
What makes a good summer read? It's hard to say. My list is pretty diverse. I wouldn't say my summer reading is "light" always, but it usually has a little something to it that makes it the perfect book to curl up with on a rainy night or read on the beach or in the park.  So, without further ado, some of my personal favorites:


Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard - Beautiful writing, a great romance, and lots of exotic locales.  This book will make you wish you'd spent your summer backpacking in Central America. It's an absolutely perfect summer read.


The Summer Before Boys by Nora Raleigh Baskin - This one is a middle grade novel, and it's absolutely stunning. It's about a young girl, her cousin, and the last summer of childhood in a sense. It's heartfelt, magical, and just so beautiful. Good for kids, teens, and adults!


Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler - I love, love, love this bok. It's very emotionally driven, about a girl dealing with the death of her boyfriend, who was also her best friend's brother. Over the summer, a year after his death, they decide to try and hookup with twenty guys. I won't say how things go down, but it makes for the perfect book to read during your summer break.


Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott - This is one of my favorite underrated YA novels by a brilliant author. The main character and her mother are thieves, and their plan to rob a rich family in Heaven, a beach town, goes wrong when relationships start to form. Fun but emotionally satisfying, too.


Personal Demons Trilogy by Lisa Desrochers - If you're looking for something on the paranormal side, this is perfect. I don't know what it is about these books - about a love triangle between a girl, an angel, and demon -  that screams SUMMER! to me but they do. Maybe it's because they are hot as Hell? Ha, pun intended. 


Saving June by Hannah Harrington - I love, love, love this book. The narrator, Harper, is complex and real, and the story about dealing with the loss of her sister is just . . . God, it's amazing. If you can get your hands on this gem, definitely do. Especially if you're taking a road trip this summer.


Obviously, there are so many more I could name, but I'll leave it here for now to avoid this list getting way too long.  Because I still want to talk about books I'm HOPING to read this summer!


This Summer's Reading List
Some of these have been on my TBR pile for a while. Others aren't out yet, but I'm hoping to snag them at a conference or I've gotten them already.  Here goes:


Altered by Jennifer Rush - I just started this recently, and I'm LOVING it.  It's out next year, so keep your eyes peeled if you're into action, adventure, and multiple hot boys.


Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo - This comes out the same day as my new book, A Midsummer's Nightmare, actually. It's a fantasy novel, and everyone is going on and on about how amazing it is! I managed to snag an advanced copy from a friend of mine, so I can't wait to tear into it!


Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume - It's the only Judy Blume YA novel I haven't read, and with the movie coming out soon - starring Willa Holland, whom I love - I feel like I need to read it ASAP! I love me some Judy Blume, so I'm looking forward to it.


The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead - This will be out in June. I am so excited! It's the follow up to Bloodlines, and being that I"m a huge fan of Adrian in that series, I'm dying to know what is going on with him!


There are, of course, many others. But I"ll be hard at work writing this summer and promoting my own summer read, A Midsummer's Nightmare, so there will only be so much reading time!  Still, I hope I can get to these books. They all look brilliant!


Speaking of summer reading -  time for a little bit of shameless self plugging.  Right now, THE DUFF is only $2.99 as an ebook (kindle and nook), so if you're looking for a summer read for your eReader, it might be worth checking out! 


Okay, enough about me!  What about you? What's on your TBR pile this summer? What have been some of your favorite summer reads of the past? I'm dying to know! Tell me in the comments!

5 comments:

Steph @ The Caffeinated Reader said...

Ooh great choices. A couple of my favorites include Summer Sisters by Judy Blume & Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson.

sarabara081 said...

I haven't read any of those books yet! I am not sure what my summer reading plans are yet but I think they will include a lot of contemp reads like A Midsummer's Nightmare (of course!), Pushing the Limits, and Unbreak My Heart. :)

Through My Lens said...

The Boys Next Door is one of my favorites! By Jennifer Echols and If you haven't already you must read The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han, the book has two sequels :)

Amy said...

I got Saving June today, it's in the 'new books chart' at WHSmith here in England, so I'll look forward to that. Great list :)

Aisyah Putri Setiawan said...


Banned complain !! Complaining only causes life and mind become more severe. Enjoy the rhythm of the problems faced. No matter ga life, not a problem not learn, so enjoy it :)

Cegah Penyakit Diabetes Dengan Jalan Kaki Selama Dua Menit
10 Jenis Makanan Dan Minuman Pencegah Kanker Rahim
Awas Gusi Bengkak Sering Menyerang Ibu Hamil
Cara Menghilangkan Tumor Parotis
Khasiat Yang Ada Di Dalam Quinoa Bagi Kesehatan Tubuh
Waktu Yang Baik Untuk Mengecek Kolesterol
Kandungan Dan Manfaat Di Dalam Mentimun Bagi Kesehatan Tubuh
Cara Mengobati TBC Kelenjar Getah Bening
Obat Syaraf Kejepit Di Bagian Leher
Cara Memutihkan Kulit Leher Bagian Belakang