Thursday, October 18, 2012

What I Said to JK Rowling


So on Tuesday night, I went to Lincoln Center to see an interview and reading by THE JK Rowling.  It was one of the best night’s of my life, and I don’t say that with hyperbole. After her reading, she signed everyone’s copy of THE CASUAL VACANCY.
EVERYONE’S.
That was like 2,000 books, y’all.
That’s A LOT.  
So when I came up in line (near the end, after she’d be signing for 2 hours) I didn’t expect her to say much, if anything, to me. And I would have been fine with that, because the fact that she was staying there so late to sign so many books was enough.
But she did talk to me. It was a short conversation, but one of the most amazing of my life. It went something like this.
ME: (hands her my book) I just have to say, I became a writer because of you. So thank you for that.
JK ROWLING: (looks up - VERY genuine) Thank  you so much. That is a wonderful thing to hear.
ME: (blush like CRAZY) Oh, no, thank YOU. I’m actually a Little Brown author as well.
JK ROWLING: Really??? Oh wow! We’re in the same stable, then, you and I!
ME: Ha! I guess we are. (takes signed book) Thank you so, so much. It was lovely meeting you.
JK ROWLING: You too.
And then I ran away.
I want emphasize something here. She was so, so incredibly kind and genuine. She made me feel like she really, truly cared what I had to say.  You never would have known that she’d been signing for two hours or that her hand was probably about to fall off.  She treated every person in line like she was glad to see them.
And that’s how she grew to inspire me even more than she already has. Not only did this woman single handedly keep me from failing 5th grade (yes, I was FAILING. Because while I’ve loved to write, I hated reading for a while as a kid), but she also showed me that she’s just as admirable as a person as she is a writer. 
I want to do that.
I want to be like her.
I want every single one of my readers to know how much they mean to me and how glad I am that they’ve read and enjoyed my books. I want to inspire. I want to make people love to read. I want to make people want to write. Even if it’s just one person, that’s more than enough.

(Reposted from my tumblr: kodykeplinger.tumblr.com.) 

11 comments:

Dawn Kurtagich said...

That is so nice, Kody :)

Deirdre said...

That is awesome sauce...that she was so genuine and the crumbs of inspiration...

New reader/follower...

Cheers!

The Romance Bookie said...

JK Rowling is absolutely amazing! I definitely want to meet her one day! Except she never seems to come to the West Coast, always the East coast!! lol

And thanks Kody, you've definitely inspired me in a lot of ways!

And btw: Beth Revis, the author of "Across the Universe", was at the signing too!! :)

Wendy said...

This is so ironic! Back in 2010, when I first learned about you at BEA, I was inspired by you. Then, in 2011, again at BEA, I stood in line for an hour to have a book signed by you. I remember you being kind and genuine (while I was so nervous). I walked away feeling amazing. While you said you "want to" make your readers feel amazing, just to let you know, you do make your readers feel amazing. :)

Jen Nirvan said...

First, for students who struggle with context-based vocabulary, the affordance of being able to see word definitions immediately is extremely useful to their overall comprehension. Most e-readers offer such definitions at a touch of a finger, which does not require much deviation from focus while reading.

Compare Text Book Prices

Anonymous said...

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonoutletmart.co.uk/]louis vuitton handbags[/url][/b] Quickly just after figuring out across the material, you've got to come across style and design and style to amass applied for the style. Usually, dermal about ostrich, alligator, reptile as well as in a lot of cases leather-based are engaged meant for modifying. You will have the capacity to select from variants for example slimfold pocket, the actual passcase purse and even ordinary finances along with the Louis Vuitton Wallets and handbags .

[b][url=http://www.uggsclearancebusiness.com/]www.uggsclearancebusiness.com[/url][/b] Louis Vuitton replica handbags sale will be the rage amongst girls, for the quantity of aspects. To seem wonderful, you have got to change equipment to suit the lower, type, shade and seem of their gear. Generally, they need to also alter the fashion determined by the event, stylish and sophisticated bags for official instances.

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonsalemarket.com/]www.louisvuittonsalemarket.com[/url][/b] The Haute Maroquinerie design and style rooms are only accessible in choose Maison shops, and as greatest I can convey to, which includes flagships in Paris, Milan, Sydney and Taipei, and can consist of Bond Road in London in the near future. Consumers can decide on from the 5 designs pictured down below in quite a few dimensions, 8 sorts of ultra-premium leather (which includes crocodile) plus more than twenty five colours. The bags are then nearly solely handmade upon purchase to the customer's specifications, as well as client's title is engraved around the inside with the bag.

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonsalemarket.com/]www.louisvuittonsalemarket.com[/url][/b] In computing, multitasking is actually a process wherever a number of duties, also called processes, are carried out during exactly the same period of time. The chores share widespread processing assets, these kinds of to be a CPU and main memory. From the situation of the computer that has a solitary CPU, just one task is alleged for being managing at any level in time, this means which the CPU is actively executing instructions for that process..

[b][url=http://www.cheapuggsstore.com/]cheap uggs[/url][/b] Create a bit dike across the bottom place by which the keel will probably be positioned. Make use of the next balsa sheet to produce the keel. Subsequent, you ought to lessen the keel making sure that it kinds a kind of trapezoidal kind. You will also need to have liquid of some type to slim things down. Milk, water and juice are preferred possibilities. Your smoothie consistency is going to be determined by how much fluid you add.

[b][url=http://www.cheapuggsstore.com/]cheap ugg boots[/url][/b] Superior color is going to be striking the senses in addition to a pose for the Mongolian lamb jackets and vests of Versace. In the meantime, Philosophy's homage towards the swinging sixties arrives in candy coloured coats with Kalgan lamb in bubble gum pink or Jeremy Scott go vibrant orange in a very cropped shearling jacket and Louis Vuitton crank up the tone within their colored shearling hats. Furthermore, daring white and black designs come from Matthew Williamson's autumn/winter selection with vivacious zigzag and checkerboard lamb types or Gareth Pugh presents all black but extraordinary striped coats and capes in both equally men and women's fur trend..

Anonymous said...

Article marketing is a necessary tool for getting quality traffic used to generate web traffic., firewall port vpn. It is always better to hire some well experienced company law firm that enables you in accompanying various types of corporate laws and rules stated by different concerned authorities. This is the reason why there are copyrights, patents and invention registration. vpn error 51 mac cisco. Estrogen is very important in regulating the sex characteristics (secondary) like appearance of axillary hair, pubic hair and breast development. vpn account rar

Anonymous said...

Because your working time will occupy your whole day. The site is 1553 sq., usa proxy address. Since the problem started somewhat abruptly, the likely cause is that an internal fan has failed or the system has simply become clogged with dust and needs a good cleaning. vpn 413 error

Anonymous said...

So make sure that when you are taking actual photographs for poster printing that you either have real sunlight illuminating your subject, or you have an array of artificial lights that are bright and are at the right angles. docencia virtual

Anonymous said...

When one's teeth are improperly positioned it can be easier for the gums to become weak. A lot of people are crying. windows server umziehen. These multicuisines are a gift of different races inhabited here. These portable solar generators use the abundant, free sunlight to generate all the power you need and even store some for later use., ventrilo server channel. The cysts in the ovaries can grow to nearly ten centimeters in length that they can result in severe pain in the abdomen area, particularly the lower abdomen. access 125cc scooter

Anonymous said...

http://www.markbattypublisher.com/jsp/buytramadol/#5992 tramadol tolerance - ez tramadol order status